Camp Lee was created in Virginia just a couple weeks after war was declared with Germany during World War 1. Construction began in 1917 and within six months, more than 10,000 troops were stationed there. After WW1, the area was turned into a game reserve. Then, when World War 2 started up, another camp was built on the same location as the first. This one was erected just as quickly as the first, and soon housed thousands of troops, preparing them for the front lines. At the end of WW2, the fate of Fort Lee was up in the air, but it was decided to keep it for Quartermaster training. It was named Fort Lee and officially designated as an army post in 1950.
Since then, the area was transformed from a temporary post into a permanent army base. Today, Fort Lee is still home to many military personnel and civilians as well, contributing quite a bit to the local Virginia economy. Since 1973, Fort Lee has been under the command of U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command. Fort Lee is home to many museums, including two Army museums, the U.S. Army Quartermaster Museum and others.