At one point Fort Story was a sub-installation of Fort Eustis located on the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay. It first became a military installation in 1914.
It was named after Gen. John Patton Story, who was well known for coastal artillery. The base died down after World War 1, but at the start of World War 2, it was again being fortified. By 1944, however, it was slowly transitioned to house returning soldiers from the way, especially the wounded. It wasn’t until 1961 that Fort Story became a permanent Army installation. There are many historic sites at Fort Story, including the Cape Henry Memorial Cross (where Jamestown settlers first landed), the first lighthouse in the area (Old Cape Henry Light), and the Battle of the Virginia Capes Monument.
Today, Fort Story is home to the U.S. Army School of Music, the Army Reserve Center and several other agencies from different branches of the military, including the Navy and Marine Corps. In 2005 it was decided to turn control of the base over to the US Navy. It was renamed Joint Expeditionary Base East in 2009, but remains open today. From defending the shores of the United States to training some of the very best in our military, Fort Story had an illustrious run as an Army installation.