Fort Myer was created during the Civil War in Virginia. Originally known as Fort Whipple, it was renamed for Brigadier General Albert J. Myer in 1880 when it became an important Army installation for the Signal Corps, and a base for Army cavalry.
In 1908 and 1909, several of the first military planes were tested at Fort Myer. Unfortunately, the first aviation fatality also occurred at Fort Myer in 1908. By the start of World War 1 and throughout that conflict, the base was home to various engineering, artillery, chemical companies and regiments.
Today, the base provides housing, support, and many other services to thousands of active-duty, reserve and retired soldiers. Fort Myer is located very close to Arlington National Cemetery so there are many honor guards stationed at the installation. The Old Guard Museum at Fort Myer is one of the big draws for civilians coming to the area.
Fort Myer is also home to the Cody Child Development Center, the largest child development center in the military. The base plays many roles in the 21st century, but continues its tradition of top notch service and dedication.