The first permanent settlement in the area of Carlisle Barracks was formed in 1757 by Col. John Stanwix. Over the next several years, it became a very important installation for the Army.
In 1794 it was visited by George Washington who wanted to survey the troops who were assembled to put down the Whiskey Rebellion. It is interesting to note that Washington liked it so much that he wanted the military academy to go there, but Pennsylvania lost that honor to West Point. Around 1801, the government bought around 27 acres for just under $700 because they thought it such an important Army post.
During the Civil War, Carlisle Barracks served as a supply center for troops. It also served as a place to re-gear troops who had been originally fighting native Americans for the Civil War. It proved an important part of that conflict. After the Civil War, it returned to training soldiers to fight Indians in the West. Over the next few wars, Carlisle Barracks continued to undergo many changes to stay current. Today, the Army base remains open and has even received new construction of barracks.