Located in New Jersey, Fort Dix received its name from Major General John Adams Dix, a veteran of both the War of 1812 and the Civil War. Construction first began in 1917 on "Camp Dix" as it was first known. It officially became Fort Dix in March of 1939 when it became a permanent Army installation. During both World Wars and in between, the base served as a training site, and staging area for troops going to and coming home from the war. Much effort was made to acclimate returning troops to non-war status. A few divisions were housed here until the Vietnam War started up when activity really blossomed.
Fort Monmouth is situated in New Jersey. It was originally purchased by the government in 1917 and known as Camp Little Silver and Camp Alfred Vail briefly. It 1925, it gained permanent status and received the name Fort Monmouth. The name comes from American Revolutionary War soldiers who died in the Battle of Monmouth. The Army's first radar system was installed at the base in 1938. Although the technology saw the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor coming, no one trusted the technology at the time. By 1946, however, the technology was improved at Fort Monmouth and labeled a feasible tool to use by the U.S. military.
Located in New Jersey, Picatinny Arsenal is an army base dedicated to military research and manufacturing. It was originally founded in 1880 as the Picatinny Powder Depot. While it started as a place to manufacture gunpowder, by World War One, it was being used to produce heavy munitions and get further into research and development for the US Army. Even during World War 2, it played a large role in producing munitions.
Updated: May 18, 2015
There are three army bases physically located in New Jersey. The largest and most functional is Fort Dix. The other two are Fort Monmouth and Picatinny Arsenal.
Fort Dix, also referred to as the Dix unit is actually the Joint Base of Dix-Maguire-Lakehurst. In 1917, Fort Dix was combined with the Army and Navy facilities under which it received its name. Lakehurst, in Burlington County, is located south of Trenton, New Jersey’s state capital. In land mass, it is just over ten square miles and straddles Hamilton, Pemberton and Springfield Townships. There are a total of thirteen brigades attached to Fort Dix. It has mobilized demobilized and trained soldiers since World War I. The first female recruits took their basic training in 1978 at Fort Dix. Today, Fort Dix remains NJ’s premier military base and has trained soldiers for duty in Afghanistan.
Located just off Route 35 in Eatontown, New Jersey, Fort Monmouth has a history of ninety-four years of developing military communications for servicemen and for monitoring enemy activities. Fort Monmouth supported over 5,000 civilian and military jobs until its closing in 2005, due to budget cuts. Fort Monmouth was originally named Camp Little Silver and by 1917, the first 32 soldiers occupied the base. Little Silver is a town located near to Fort Monmouth. The parcel of land upon which Fort Monmouth was built was formerly a potato farm. The name “Fort Monmouth” became official in 1925. Since then, Fort Monmouth earned a reputation for researching and developing hi-level technologies that aided in military efforts. For example, Fort Monmouth’s team of researchers developed radar that detected enemy artillery and mortars. Fort Monmouth provided NJ with a huge source of revenue and employment for residents. In 2005, it was proposed to be relocated to Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland.
Picatinny Arsenal is located in Jefferson and Rockaway Township in Morris County NJ. Its chief operations are military research and manufacturing of gun powder, military systems, munitions and weapons. It was established in the 1880s on land known as the Middle Forge Tract. It encompasses a land mass of over 1,500 acres which includes Picatinny Lake and Lake Denmark. Picatinny Arsenal employed over 18,000 during World War II. Today, the number of employees is 5,000.
Many in New Jersey remember Picatinny Arsenal for the explosion that occurred on July 10, 1926, when lighting struck during a storm and caused a massive fire. Newspapers at the time reported that several million pounds of explosives had been detonated over two to three days. There were military and civilian casualties as a result of the explosion and fire.
At present, Picatinny Arsenal remains active in military research and development and has several related organizations to its credit. These include: JM&L LCMC, ARDEC, Garrison, PEO Soldier, Integration and Ammo. As a government owned facility, Picatinny Arsenal is the “Joint Center of Excellence for Guns and Ammunition.”