Created in 1940 and named after General Leonard Wood, a former Chief of Staff, Fort Leonard Wood was originally constructed to train infantry troops for World War 2. It soon became a training post for engineer units, however. Because of its location in the Missouri Ozarks, many refer to the army base as the "Fort Lost in the Woods." Because of its location, it has been great for training troops in a variety of extreme weather conditions. Over the years, the US Army Engineer School, the US Army Chemical Corps and Military Police Corps schools were transferred to Fort Leonard Wood.
Today, Fort Leonard Wood is home to the 4th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, which has a wide selection of units under its command. Training continues to center around engineering, chemical disposal and military police activities. Some of the troops stationed there include the 5th and 94th Engineer Battalions, the 92nd Military Police Battalion, and the 193rd Brigade Support Battalion. Even though it is located in an out of the way spot, there are many roads leading in and out of the army base. In addition, there are airports around that support the army installation.