Located between Kentucky and Tennessee, Camp Campbell was first planned in 1941. Over the next few years it opened and came to include over 100,000 acres. It was primarily a training ground for the 12th, 14th and 20th Armored divisions and the 25th Infantry Division. From 1949 to 1956, the Army base was home to the 11th Airborne Division. It was finally officially named Fort Campbell in 1950. Throughout the 50s and 60s, it served as a training facility for many units in the Army.
Fort Knox is an Army base located in Kentucky that consists of over 100,000 acres of land. The Army base is probably most famous for maintaining the Bullion Depository since 1937. This heightened security on the base was brought to the public's attention in movies like Goldfinger. Before that, however, fortifications were built in 1860 during the Civil War. By the early 20th century, the area was used as a training facility for infantry. It first got its name in 1918 in honor of Henry Knox, the chief of artillery for the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War. That said, it wasn't officially designated Fort Knox until 1932.
Updated: May 26, 2016
Both of the U.S. Army posts in Kentucky are well known throughout the country: Fort Knox and Fort Campbell. Fort Knox being the most famous.
Fort Knox is home to the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Kentucky Bullion Depository. The imposing depository building, located at Gold Vault Rd. and Bullion Blvd., is used to store a large portion of the United States’ official gold reserves.
The post was the home of Cavalry and Armor for seven decades until the 2005 Post Realignment and Closure (BRAC) Commission. The Armor Center and School have relocated to Fort Benning.
Now the post is home to the Human Resources Command, Army Accessions Command and Cadet Command. Additionally the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, the 1st Infantry Division, 100th Division Headquarters, and the 3rd Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) have relocated to the post.
With the advent of digital technology the Unit of Action Maneuver Battle Lab was established in 2002. The lab continues to support Armor activities and enhancement.
Fort Knox covers more than 109,000 acres in three of Kentucky’s 120 counties and is the sixth largest urban community in the Commonwealth. The post is 35 miles south of Louisville.
One of the more popular attractions on the post is the General George Patton Museum and Center of Leadership which is open to the public throughout the year.
The post has four schools for military families’ children, including Fort Knox High School, Scott Middle School, Macdonald and Van Voorhis Elementary Schools.
Soldiers and their spouses have a number of colleges available to them on post and in the adjacent town of Radcliff, including the University of Louisville, University of Kentucky, Western Kentucky University and Elizabethtown Community College.
Fort Campbell is in both Kentucky and Tennessee and covers 106,700 acres. It is 60 miles west of Nashville and 50 miles northeast of Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.
Fort Campbell is the home of the only Air Assault Division in the world, the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). The post also boasts of being home to the 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) and the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne). The 86th Combat Support Hospital and the 716th MP Battalion also call the post home.
Education opportunities for military children include Ft. Campbell High School, two middle schools and six elementary schools.
Military personnel and their spouses have educational opportunities on post including Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Hopkinsville Community College and Murray State University.
Among the attractions available at Fort Campbell is the Don F. Pratt Museum which features personal possessions of Generals William C. Lee, Maxwell D. Taylor, Anthony C. McAuliffe and William C. Westmoreland. Additionally personal items of Adolf Hitler, Herman Goering and other high-ranking Nazi officials can be viewed.
Across the street from the museum are military aircraft and equipment previously used in military battles, including a fully restored C-47 aircraft resembling the plane used to carry the division commander, Maj. Gen. Maxwell D. Taylor, into Normandy during World War II.
In addition to museums and parks, the post boasts indoor and outdoor swimming pools, recreational facilities, golf courses, bowling lane, archery range, a paintball course, riding stables and a skeet range.