Originally named Camp Gordon, this Army base was constructed in 1941. It received its name from Confederate Major General John Brown Gordon.
During World War 2, Camp Gordon was home to three infantry divisions; the 4th Infantry, the 26th Infantry, and the 10th Armored.
The camp also served as a place to house prisoners of war during and after World War II. Set for closing, the camp became home of the Military Police School in the late 40s.
It officially became Fort Gordon in 1956. Through the 50s and 70s, Fort Gordon served as a major training center for the U.S. Army. In 1985, the U.S. Signal Corps were stationed at Fort Gordon.
Today, Fort Gordon is home to several brigades, a military police detachment, and the National Security Agency/Central Security Service to name just a few.
Around 30,000 military and civilian employees work in and around Fort Gordon, which means the Army base has a huge financial impact on the surrounding community. From a rural training camp to the major Army installation it is today, Fort Gordon has seen many changes over the years and will continue to do so for many years to come.