Located in Georgia, Fort Gillem was opened in 1941 as a “satellite installation” of Fort McPherson. The two Army bases still work together closely.
In 2005 Fort Gillem was slated to be closed, but this may be reversed. While it was in operation, the Army base was home to many supply and support units.
While the Army base was small and didn’t house as many people as other Army bases across the United States, it played a large role in the history of the U.S. Army because of the types of training that took place there.
Fort Gillem is comprised of around 1,500-acres and was known at one time as the Atlanta Army Depot. From World War II to the Korean Conflict to the Berlin Airlift to the Cuban Crisis and then the Vietnam War, thousands of men and women have been trained for support roles at Fort Gillem.
It was first designated a fort in 1973 when it changed command. The name was borrowed from one of the graduates of Fort Gillem – Lieutenant General Alvan C. Gillem, Jr. While not in operation today, it may again play a role in the training of the U.S. Army.