Located in southeast Arizona, Camp Huachuca was redesignated Fort Huachuca in 1882. By the time World War 2 rolled around, the Army base encompassed around 71,253 Acres. Starting in 1967, Fort Huachuca became the HQ for the U.S. Army Strategic Communications Command, which later became the U.S. Army Communications Command in 1973. They were renamed again in 1983, becoming the U.S. Army Information Systems Command (USAAISC.) During this time, in 1976, the Fort was named a National Historic Landmark.
The army base is so famous that it was the location for the film Captain Newman, MD, starring Gregory Peck in 1963. Fort Huachuca has also been mentioned in many other movies and television shows over the years. Today, it is home to the U.S. Army Intelligence Center and the U.S. Army Network Enterprise Technology Command (NETCOM.) The base is also home to the Libby Army Airfield, which serves many different purposes. For those interested in the historical side of the army base, the Fort Huachuca Museum is located three miles northwest of the fort's main entrance.