Serving as the U.S. Army Aviation Center of Excellence, Fort Rucker is responsible for training civilian, military, and international personnel in both aviation and leadership skills.
Opened in 1942 in Dale County, Alabama, Fort Rucker actually started as Camp Rucker. The name was changed in 1955 as it grew. In 1973, it became the Army’s central location for aviation training. Around 15,000 people (military and civilian) work and live at Fort Rucker.
Fort Rucker was set-up during an effort at the start of the US involvement in World War II to ramp-up the military. With over 16 million men being trained, locations like Camp Rucker were a necessity. Although closed after the close of World War II, it was re-opened as Fort Rucker in 1955 as the Army’s aviation program moved to the area. During the Vietnam War, Army Aviation programs became really important, adding to the importance of Fort Rucker.
The fort is named after Confederate General Edmund Rucker who served during the Civil War. In addition to serving as the U.S. Army Aviation Center of Excellence, Fort Rucker is also home to the United States Army Aviation Museum. To some, the base is known as “Mother Rucker” because of the frequency of returning there for additional training by the Army.